Travel and Tourism (National 5)
The National 5 Skills for Work: Travel and Tourism Course is an introductory qualification in travel and tourism. It develops the skills, knowledge and attitudes, needed for work in the travel and tourism industry.
Learners will develop:
- skills to become effective job-seekers and employees
- skills to deal effectively with all aspects of customer care and customer service in travel and tourism
- the product knowledge and skills to deal effectively with customer enquiries in relation to travel and tourism in Scotland, the rest of the United Kingdom and worldwide
At SCQF level 5, the candidate will work alone or with others on tasks with minimum support.
This qualification is available through schools and colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
The structure of National 5 Skills for Work: Travel and Tourism is consistent with the equivalent Course at SCQF level 5. This allows centres to choose activities and delivery methods which best suit their circumstances and candidates.
The Units have been written in a hierarchical format, to facilitate multi-level delivery. This allows learners to achieve at their highest level, but enables achievement at a lower level if necessary.
The Course is designed to be practical and provides an opportunity for learners to reflect on and learn through experience.
Skills for Work Travel and Tourism at SCQF level 5 include opportunities for learners to develop components of Core Skills.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners including:
- pupils from mainstream schools or other education establishments
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- learners in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- learners participating in 16+ programmes
- college students wishing to develop their skills and knowledge in relation to travel and tourism
- trainees participating in preparation for entering employment
- individuals involved in voluntary activities
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Skills for Work in Travel and Tourism at SCQF level 5 may provide progression to:
- other SQA Travel and Tourism Courses or to Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in Travel and Tourism
- further education
- employment in the travel and tourism industry
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
There is no external assessment for this Course. Learners must successfully complete each Unit to achieve the Course.
Unit specifications provide detailed information on the Evidence Requirements for each Unit. The Unit Support Notes provide information on approaches to assessment for each Unit.
The Units are internally assessed by centres and externally verified by SQA.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: C776 75 (24 SCQF credit points) SCQF level: 5
The National 5 Skills for Work Course in Travel and Tourism consists of four mandatory Unit(s) (6 SCQF credit points).
- Course Specification (209 KB)
- Course Support Notes (375 KB)
- Unit Specifications (Customer Service) (159 KB) (159 KB)
- Unit Specifications (Employability) (137 KB)
- Unit Specificaitons (Scotland) (153 KB)
- Unit Specifications (UK & Worldwide) (181 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Customer Service) (505 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Employability) (400 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Scotland) (447 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (UK & Worldwide) (423 KB)
Internal Assessment Reports
- Internal Assessment Report 2016 (158 KB)
Offer this qualification