External Verifier (Petroleum Driver
Passport Industry Training Scheme)
An External Verifier is responsible for external verification and qualification approval activities under the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA. The prime role is to participate in external verification procedures for the PD Passport scheme to ensure that standards are maintained. The PD Passport scheme has been designed to set and maintain an industry training standard against which drivers delivering refined petroleum products in road tankers will need to demonstrate competence. The training standard has been designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including drivers, employers, training providers and associated stakeholders.
These activities will be under the direction of the Senior External Verifier and staff from SQA’s Contract Services team.
Outline of duties
- Carry out monitoring of training and assessment activity within a geographical area, to ensure compliance with standards in accordance with the Training Standard, Syllabus and Scheme Manual of Practice
- Participate in monitoring visits to centres providing advice and guidance relevant to the standards and ensure any recommendations or corrective actions have been taken
- Carry out both prior approval (desk based activity) and approval visits to ensure requirements set out in the Scheme Manual Of Practice can be met
- Complete written reports to meet SQA requirements
- Assist with specific enquiries from centres, and SQA officers
- Provide data base training and guidance to centres as and when required
- Participate in external verifier training events and meetings as required by SQA
- Complete Continuous Professional Development (CPD) record annually and submit to SQA when requested
Successful candidates must:
- Be able to demonstrate recent experience and knowledge in petroleum products within the last 5 years, and a high level of expertise in training and assessment within the various industry sub sectors (Aviation, Commercial, Home Heat, Marine and Retail).
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally with their Senior Verifier, Head of Centre and SQA staff both orally (at briefings and meetings) and in writing (reports)
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
- Hold a current clean driving licence
Successful candidates should:
- Hold a formal training qualification and or an external audit qualification
- Be qualified and or trained in instructional techniques
- Hold or be working towards an Assessor Award
- Hold a current DGSA qualification or equivalent
- Hold a current ADR Driver Training Certificate
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and show an attention to detail
- Hold or be working towards an External Verification Award
Key Performance Measures for External Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the External Verifier contract specification, the External Verifier will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
- Complete External Verifier training/updates
- Complete scheduled centre allocation of visits within conditions and timescales for SQA
- Complete External Verifier reports as per SQA quality standard and within agreed timescale
- Positive engagement with all members of the team, SQA centre’s personnel and with all members of SQA staff
- Submit CPD record within agreed timescales where appropriate