External Verifier (UK and International)
An External Verifier is responsible for external verification and qualification approval activities under the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The prime roles are to participate in verification of qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned to ensure that standards are maintained and to support centres with information, advice and guidance.
These activities will be under the direction of SQA International Awarding and HN and Vocational Delivery staff.
Outline of duties
- Participate in central verification events, carry out external verification activity such as visits, postal verification, VC and teleconference as required
- Participate in prior verification of centres’ internally devised instruments of assessment
- Participate in approval, post approval and development visits to centres
- Assist HN & Vocational Delivery & Quality Assurance staff with policy and subject specific enquiries from centres, and SQA officers
- Assist International Awarding team with subject specific enquiries from centres
- Deliver and participate in external verifier training events
- Additionally, External Verifiers may be asked to undertake the following activities. These activities will attract additional payment
- Participate in SQA organised events where External Verifier input is required
- Contribute to the Understanding Standards activities
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English and where appropriate in the language of the assessment
- Must be able to demonstrate up-to-date subject knowledge and a high level of expertise in assessment across the range of courses, levels, qualification types and the areas for which they are appointed. External Verifiers will be expected to have appropriate academic, vocational or professional qualifications or expertise in the same or closely related subject area for which they seek an appointment.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and engage positively with people
- Be able to work co-operatively and professionally with centre and SQA staff
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally both orally (at briefings and meetings) and in writing (reports)
- Have a home computer or laptop with Broadband internet connection and a private email address
- Be able to commit up to 15 days per year to fulfil SQA External Verifier duties
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills with and provide an attention to detail
- Have an in-depth understanding of all documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the verification area for which they have responsibility
- Possess or be working towards the HN or VQ External Verifier qualification or equivalent qualification/s
Key Performance Measures for External Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the External Verifier contract specification, the External Verifier will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Complete External Verifier training
- Complete scheduled centre allocation of visits and / or central events within conditions and timescales for SQA
- Complete External Verifier reports as per SQA quality standard and within agreed timescale
- Positive engagement with SQA staff and SQA centre’s personnel
- Submit CPD record within agreed timescales where appropriate