Skills for Work: Early Education and Childcare National 5 (SCQF level 5)
National 5 Skills for Work: Early Education and Childcare is an introductory qualification that develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for work in early education and childcare sector.
At National 5, learners begin to prepare for working in the sector. They also develop transferable employability skills, including:
- an understanding of the workplace and the employee’s responsibilities (eg time-keeping, appearance, customer care)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- skills to become effective job-seekers and employees
At SCQF level 5, learners work alone or with others on straightforward tasks with support.
Why deliver this qualification
This Course focuses on developing generic employability skills needed for success in the workplace through a variety of practical experiences in the early education and childcare area.
There is considerable flexibility of topics and contexts to facilitate personalisation and choice for learners and centres — and to allow new and stimulating contexts for learning to be built into the Course.
It is anticipated that the Course will build on existing partnerships between schools, colleges of further education, employers and other training providers. Such partnerships will enable the Course to be delivered in a variety of appropriate learning environments with access to relevant teaching expertise.
The development of children is influenced by many factors which are studied across the Units of this Course. The Units should therefore be delivered in an integrated way, where possible.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners including:
- pupils from mainstream schools or other education establishments
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- learners in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- learners participating in 16+ programmes
- college students wishing to develop their skills and knowledge in relation to early education and childcare
- trainees preparing to enter employment
- individuals involved in voluntary activities
Entry is at the discretion of the centre. However, centres should be aware that candidates should be working at SCQF level 5.
Successful learners may progress to:
- National Course in Early Education and Childcare at Higher
- National Certificate in Early Education and Childcare at SCQF level 6
- further education
- vocational training
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
There is no external assessment for this Course. Learners must successfully complete each Unit to achieve the Course.
Unit specifications provide detailed information on the Evidence Requirements for each Unit. The Unit Support Notes provide information on approaches to assessment for each Unit.
The Units are internally assessed by centres and externally verified by SQA.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code C246 75 (24 SCQF credit points)
The Skills for Work Course in Early Education and Childcare at SCQF level 5 consists of three mandatory Units and three optional Units.
For further information on the structure and units of this qualification please refer to the Course Specification document.
Internal Assessment Reports
Offer this qualification