National Certificate in Computing with Digital Media
National Certificates (NCs) are practical qualifications designed to equip learners with the knowledge and skills (including Core Skills) required for further study or to gain employment.
The NC in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 5 develops knowledge and understanding of general computing as well as specific areas of choice. It also develops practical, technical and transferable skills.
This qualification covers areas such as computer hardware and systems, digital media elements for applications, applications development, information literacy, network literacy and social media literacy. There is also a computing project.
National Certificates are designed for full-time delivery over one year (or part-time over two years) and are available in colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
NCs bridge the progression gap from school attainment to HN and other study. They are suitable for school leavers and those seeking a route back into study at non-advanced level. They are trusted qualifications having been developed by practitioners with the support of the sector skills councils.
The NC in Computing with Digital Media is straightforward to deliver and slots readily into college timetables.
It can be offered in any of the following modes:
- full-time fast track
- part-time (day or evening)
- open or distance learning
- combined delivery eg part-time with open learning provision
National Certificates have e-assessment and e-learning options — improving flexibility and enabling time and cost savings.
National Certificates include opportunities for learners to develop Core Skills.
The achievement of National Progression Awards consisting of optional Units in the NC framework can contribute towards the successful completion of this award.
Who does this qualification suit
This NC is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- full-time NC learners who have already completed the award at SCQF level 4
- full-time NC learners who have come from school with National 4 or National 5 qualifications
- part-time learners who may wish to pick up individual Units or work towards the group award
- adult returners wishing to re-enter education
- learners looking to progress to an HNC/HND
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
No prior qualifications or knowledge are required to undertake this qualification, however learners would benefit from having attained the skills, knowledge and understanding required by having achieved one of the following or equivalent qualifications and/or experience:
- National Certificate in Digital Media Computing at SCQF level 4
- National Certificate in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 4
- National 4 Computing Science
- National 5 Computing Science
The NC in Computing with Digital Media may provide progression opportunities to:
- qualifications at SCQF levels 6 and above
On successful completion of the NC in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 5, learners may be able to progress onto any of the following NC programmes:
- NC in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 6
- NC in Computing Technical Support at SCQF level 6
- NC in Computer Games: Creative Development at SCQF level 6
- NC in Computer Games: Software Development at SCQF level 6
At the discretion of the centre, learners may also progress directly on to the following HN programmes:
- HNC/HND Computer Games Development
- HNC Computing: Networking
- HNC Computing: Technical Support
- HNC Computing: Software Development
- HNC/HND Information Technology
- HNC/HND Interactive Media
- HNC/HND 3D Computer Animation
Centres not already approved to deliver this qualification need to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Each Unit specification gives detailed information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for the Unit.
Each Unit can be assessed separately or combined with other Units in a holistic approach.
Assessment Support Packs (ASPs) are available for selected Units and can be found on SQA’s secure website.
Formative e-assessments have been developed for selected Units and can be downloaded from SOLAR our online e-assessment service website.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: GJ7T45 (72 SCQF credit points)
SCQF level: 5
The National Certificate in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 5 consists of seven mandatory Unit(s) (48 SCQF credit points) and four optional Units (24 SCQF credit points).
For further information on the Units and Structure of this qualification please refer to the Group Award Specification document.
Group Award Specification
Group Award code: GJ7T 45
Date of publication: August 2014
This qualification replaces the NC in Digital Media Computing at SCQF Level 5
Group Award: G8JK 45
This Group Award has been replaced and has entered into its lapsing period.
The finishing date for this qualification is 31 July 2017.
Offer this qualification