Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3
The Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3 will develop knowledge and skills in event organisation, venue operations, security, volunteer management, and health and safety.
This qualification covers areas such as supporting the organisation of an event; solving business problems; and contributing to decision-making in a business environment.
This qualification is available through approved centres.
Why deliver this qualification
This qualification offers centres flexibility and choice because of the comprehensive range of optional Units.
Learners can progress to a range of courses at a higher level including Diploma in Cultural Heritage at QCF level 5, allowing centres to retain or build student numbers.
This Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3 can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners, over the age of 16, including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
It is also suitable for those who have an interest in history and the arts.
This Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3 is a component in the Level 3 Cultural and Heritage Venue Operations apprenticeship framework.
Learners may wish to do this qualification as part of the Apprenticeship, or on its own. If learners complete this qualification as part of the Apprenticeship they will be required to undergo additional training, over and above the core qualification, in areas including employment rights and responsibility and/or English and maths.
They may wish to consider taking this qualification outside of the Apprenticeship framework:
- to maximise their employment opportunities within this sector, as not all employers offer Apprenticeship places for this particular job role
- the full Apprenticeship may not be relevant to those who are already in employment but wish to gain recognition and/or certification of their skills
- if they meet the entry requirements to take the qualification but not those required for the apprenticeship route
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners who have achieved the Certificate can progress to job roles relating to their chosen pathways, including:
- Front of House Staff: ticket sales with responsibilities such as exhibition group bookings; dealing with customers; supporting setting-up and servicing meetings; and setting-up and maintaining systems such as finance, staff records, visitor numbers.
- Visitor Services Assistant: with responsibilities such as assisting with the safety of staff, visitors, collections and buildings; helping visitors to get the most from their visit; working with explainers, guides, demonstrators and visitors with special needs or requirements; and interpreting and explaining the service, exhibition or site.
Learners can also do further qualifications to build on their skills, such as progressing to SQA’s Diploma in Cultural Heritage at QCF Level 5 which will develop knowledge and skills in areas such as operations, conservation, collection management, learning and interpretation, marketing and fundraising. It also includes managing a cultural heritage site; assessing the conservation needs of material cultural heritage and developing strategies for a cultural heritage collection.
Centres will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Ongoing course assessment will apply. Each Unit specification gives information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for the Unit.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
The Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3 requires the learner to achieve a minimum of 28 credits: 16 credits from the five Mandatory Units in Group A plus a minimum of 12 credits from the Optional Units in Group B.
Group Award code: GK2M 70 (28 QCF credit points)
Ofqual Qualification Code: 601/5042/7
For information on the structure of this qualification, please refer to the Qualification Structure.
Unit specifications and Assessment Guidance
Unit specifications and Assessment Guidance for these qualifications are available on SQA's Secure website. These are available from your centre’s SQA Co-ordinator. For further information, please contact email@example.com
Offer this qualification