An SQA Expert Reviewer is responsible for reviewing questions, items or tasks and appropriate supporting marking instructions under the direction of the Assessment Manager which must be undertaken within the conditions, timeframes and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to work with the Assessment Manager and other SQA Appointees to check the consistent application of standards and subject specific integrity of decision-making in relation to content.
These activities will be under the direction of the Assessment Manager and staff from SQA’s Contract delivery teams as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods.
Outline of duties
- Review new question(s)/item(s)/task(s) and marking instructions providing comment on their suitability in terms of validity, reliability, accuracy, degree of difficulty, content, mark allocation, layout, spelling and grammar to ensure they meet the requirements of the item specification.
- Ensure that new question(s)/item(s)/task(s) are free of bias and stereotyping on the basis of factors such as race, religion, disability, sex, social background, sexual orientation and age.
- If required verify the classification of items according to the item type, content and cognitive domains from the test framework and where appropriate, provide evidence for its verification.
- Ensure activities are concluded by specified dates and assist in ensuring resources are used effectively and efficiently.
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments.
Successful candidates must:
- have expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Key stage 1 National Curriculum (English reading; English grammar, punctuation and spelling; and Mathematics).
- Key stage 1 National Curriculum (English reading; English grammar, punctuation and spelling; Mathematics and Science).
- Professional Skills Tests for Prospective Teachers (Literacy and Numeracy)
- Have experience demonstrating competence in assessing the standard / suitability of items
- be able to communicate and engage professionally, confidently and effectively with other appointees and SQA staff both orally and in writing.
- be able to work professionally and co-operatively with other appointees and SQA staff.
- be able to demonstrate good forward planning and time management skills and adhere to deadlines.
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address.
Key Performance Measures for Expert Reviewer
On completion of the duties outlined in the Item Writer contract specification, the Item Writer will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Complete review of question(s)/item(s)/task(s) and marking instructions to ensure accordance with the item specification and SQA policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.