Depute Lead Verifier
The prime role of the Depute Lead Verifier is to support the Senior/Principal Verifiers and contribute to the standardisation of quality assurance activity for their qualification sector to ensure that good practice is shared and standards are maintained across our qualification programmes.
The Depute Lead verifier will report to the Lead Verifier, work closely with other Depute Lead Verifiers, Senior/Principal Verifiers and SQA staff from across the organisation who contribute to the quality assurance of internal assessment.
Outline of duties
Lead, support and mentor allocated teams to ensure the success of the standardisation and quality assurance activity for their qualification sector.
- Contribute to the initial and on-going training and development of the appointees within the team and qualification remit.
- Lead quality assurance events and provide on-going support for appointees to ensure the sharing of good practice in standardisation and qualification verification. Support could include mentoring, observation and group led activities as required.
- Participate in both generic and subject specific quality assurance training events as required.
- Contribute towards the development and review of resources/processes to support consistency in the external verification of qualifications nationally.
- Provide advice re processes, procedures, recording and feedback approaches and documentation to support and improve the quality assurance activity.
- Undertake monitoring activities to ensure that quality assurance in qualification sector is effective and consistent
- Undertake any additional related duties as required.
Successful candidates must:
- currently hold a Senior/Principal Verifier role with at least 3 years’ experience in SQA quality assurance processes and procedures
- be able to demonstrate good practice in assessing to national standards within a current qualification area
- be able to demonstrate good practice in internal verification within a current qualification area
- be able to demonstrate good practice in external verification within a current qualification area
- be able to demonstrate good practice in leading a team of external verifiers in a current qualification area
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of a team, providing leadership and support as required
- be able to communicate confidently and effectively particularly in a large group situation; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- provide accurate feedback on performance in a supportive and professional manner
- demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Depute Lead Verifier
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Depute Lead Verifier contract specification, the post holder will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Train, develop and support members of the teams to meet SQA requirements.
- Deliver training/events within the remit in accordance with policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.