External Verifier (Petroleum Driver Passport Industry Training Scheme)
An External Verifier is responsible for external verification and qualification approval activities under the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The prime role is to participate in external verification procedures for the PD Passport scheme to ensure that standards are maintained. The PD Passport scheme has been designed to set and maintain an industry training standard against which drivers delivering refined petroleum products in road tankers will need to demonstrate competence. The training standard has been designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including drivers, employers, training providers and associated stakeholders.
These activities will be under the direction of the Senior External Verifier and staff from SQA’s Contract Services team.
Outline of duties
- Carry out monitoring of training and assessment activity within a geographical area, to ensure compliance with standards in accordance with the Training Standard, Syllabus and Scheme Manual of Practice. There may also be instances when visits are required to be conducted out with a specific geographical area.
- Observe training and assessment being conducted to ensure it is in accordance with the syllabus and Manual of Practice.
- Provide support to training providers through advice and suggestions for improvement on any matters which may have arisen. The advice must be directly relevant to the standards for training laid out in the syllabus and offered with the sole aim of helping improve or maintain the standard of training.
- Discuss the findings with the key contact of the visited training provider, if available.
- Provide guidance and training on the PDP database.
- Carry out centre approval visits to ensure requirements have been met including Instructor approval.
- Participate in monitoring visits to centres providing advice and guidance relevant to the standards and ensure any recommendations or corrective actions have been carried out.
- Complete written reports to SQA requirements
- Assist with specific enquiries from centres, and SQA officers
- Participate in EV training events and meetings required by SQA.
- Complete Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in line with SQA requirements.
Successful candidates must:
- Be able to demonstrate recent experience and knowledge in petroleum products within the last 5 years, and a high level of expertise in training and assessment within the various industry sub sectors (Aviation, Commercial, Home Heat, Marine and Retail).
- Have currency of knowledge and practice demonstrated by either current working practice or CPD record.
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally (both orally and in writing) with customers, colleagues and stakeholders
- Have an in-depth understanding of all documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the carriage of petroleum products.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide an attention to detail
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
- Have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages including but not limited to Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Hold a current clean driving licence
Successful candidates should:
- Hold a formal training qualification and / or an external audit qualification
- Be qualified and or trained in instructional techniques
- Hold a current Petroleum Driver Passport
- Hold or be working towards an Assessor Award
- Hold a current DGSA qualification or equivalent
- Hold a current ADR Driver Training Certificate
- Hold or be working towards an External Verification Award
Key Performance Measures for External Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the External Verifier contract specification, the External Verifier will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
- Complete scheduled centre allocation of visits within conditions and timescales for SQA
- Complete External Verifier reports as per SQA quality standard and within agreed timescale
- Management visit report feedback from Senior External Verifier assessing standards of conduct
- Positive engagement with all members of the team, SQA centres’ personnel and with all members of SQA staff.
- Submit CPD in line with SQA requirements