National 5 Physical Education
The National 5 Physical Education Course allows learners to develop and demonstrate a comprehensive range of movement and performance skills in physical activities. Learners also develop an increased understanding of the important link between fitness and good health.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (National 3 - Advanced Higher) (208 KB)
- March 2016 National 1 and National 2 update (141 KB)
- October 2015 National 3 to Advanced Higher update (305 KB)
- August 2015 Higher update (89 KB)
- May 2015 National 3 to Advanced Higher update (192 KB)
- January 2015 Advanced Higher update (399 KB)
- September 2014 National 1 and National 2 update (375 KB)
- September 2014 National 3 to Higher update (390 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- February 2014 National 3 to National 5 update (93 KB)
- September 2013 National 1 and National 2 update
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Physical Education Verification Key Message
- 2014 National 5 Physical Education Course Report
- 2015 National 5 Physical Education Course Report
- Physical Education Verification Key Messages
- Physical Education Verification Key Messages Round 1
- Physical Education Verification Key Messages Round 2
- 2016 National 5 Physical Education Course Report