National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft
This Course is valid from August 2013.
The National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft Course enables learners to develop technical and creative skills in cake baking and finishing while following safe and hygienic practices. Developing their knowledge and understanding of cake design, and following trends in cake production, learners will use organisational skills to manage time and resources.
Updates and announcements
2015-16 Understanding Standards materials
We have published a further Understanding Standards pack for internal assessment in the National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft Course. This pack is dated October 2015 and covers assessment in the Cake Baking Unit. It is available from our secure website and you can arrange access to it through your SQA Co-ordinator. It must be stored securely and treated as confidential.
- Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft (159 KB)
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Practical Cake Craft Verification Key Messages Round 3
- 2014 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft Course Report
- 2015 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft Course Report
- Practical Cake Craft Verification Key Messages
- Practical Cake Craft Verification Key Messages Round 1