Advanced Higher Graphic Communication
The Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Course develops learners' skills in communicating using graphic media, and in interpreting, understanding and critically evaluating graphic media created by others. Learners have opportunities to study a diverse range of graphic applications which might include business, industrial and the built environment, computer-aided work, publishing and moving graphic media.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (277 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (193 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (319 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 4 - National 5 - Higher) (90 KB) (94 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (191 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (391 KB)
- September 2014 Technologies subject update (157 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Understanding Standards events
The Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Understanding Standards events will take place on the following dates:
- 5 December 2016 - Stirling
- 18 January 2017 - Stirling
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Specimen Question Paper
- Question Paper Brief - Advanced Higher Graphic Communication
- Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Exemplar Question Paper
- Advanced Higher Graphic Communication Exemplar Question Paper Guidance
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.