HNC/HND Technologies in Business
Higher National Qualifications provide practical skills and theoretical knowledge that meet the needs of employers.
The HNC Technologies in Business is designed to address the business need for multi-skilled individuals possessing the IT, business and inter-personal skills required for the digital economy.
The HND Technologies in Business is designed for learners who wish to pursue a business career in the digital economy. The award provides the essential and highly sought after mix of technology and business skills that enables progress to further academic and professional qualifications before embarking on a career in a diverse range of business areas within the public and private sector.
The awards consist of a core-and-option structure. The composition of mandatory units together with a wide range of options encompassing IT, software and systems, infrastructure, business and languages is designed to appeal to a wide range of potential learners.
These qualifications are available through colleges, training providers and some universities. Typically, an HNC takes one year to complete and an HND takes two years.
How to assess
Each unit specification gives detailed information on the evidence requirements and approaches to assessment for the unit.
Ongoing course assessment will apply.
Assessment support packs will be available for this qualification.
Deliver this qualification
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority require to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualification Approval Guide.
Where can you take this course?
Internal Assessment Reports
Why study this qualification
The HNC and HND Technologies in Business are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- individuals in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- two National Qualifications at Higher level (including at least one from Computing Science, Business Management, English or Mathematics) and three relevant National 5 qualifications or equivalent
- National Certificate in Computing with Digital Media at SCQF level 6
- Other appropriate National Certificates at SCQF level 6
- SVQ/CBQ at Level 3 in a relevant area
- Different combinations of National Qualifications, vocational qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience plus
- good communication and analytical skills
Employment and progression
Learners who achieve an HNC Technologies in Business can progress to the HND in Technologies in Business.
Learners who have achieved the HND Technologies in Business may be able to progress to some university degree courses. Please see the group award specification for more information.