HND Applied Bioscience
Higher National qualifications provide practical skills and theoretical knowledge that meet the needs of employers.
The HND in Applied Bioscience at SCQF level 8 develops knowledge, understanding and skills in biological sciences and their applications to the land-based industries, including the crop, livestock and environmental sectors.
Learners will develop underpinning knowledge of the biological and physical sciences and technology, and gain a wide range of scientific and practical laboratory skills ¿ for example, in immunotechnology, DNA molecular technology and safe working practices.
They will also be able to specialise in areas such as applied crop science, applied animal science or environmental science.
This qualification is available through colleges, training providers and some universities. Typically, an HND takes two years.
Why study this qualification
The HND in Applied Bioscience is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- individuals in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- people who wish to start their own business
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- an SVQ at Level 2 or 3 in a relevant area
- relevant work experience
- two Highers (SCQF level 6) or 1 ‘A’ level pass (SCQF level 7) to include Biology or Chemistry, plus English and Mathematics at SCQF level 5 or equivalent or a National Certificate Group Award or other qualification at SCQF level 5/6 in a related subject area such as Life Science, Applied Science, Biological Science, Science, Biotechnology, Science and Technology
Different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, vocational qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may also be acceptable.
Employment and progression
The Applied Bioscience HND may provide opportunities to enter employment that leads to positions such as: laboratory technician; animal technician; quality control officer; grain quality technician; creamery technician; technical representative.
The HND Applied Bioscience can provide direct entry to Year 3 of BSc Applied Bioscience, or BSc Applied Animal Science, according to the second year optional Units chosen. There are other progression routes to biological science courses at other higher education establishments.
Higher National qualifications also provide the knowledge and understanding required for related Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs).