How to request personal information

You have a right to ask for personal information we hold about you. This is commonly known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). This gives you the right to receive a copy or summary of your information. The following details will help you ask for information SQA holds about you.

If you have any questions about requesting your information contact data protection team

How do I request my information?

You can request your personal information by completing:

Subject access request form

or make a request in writing and send it to data protection team or

Data Protection Officer
Scottish Qualifications Authority
The Optima Building
58 Robertson St
G2 8DQ

What happens next?

We will let you know that we have received your request within 5 working days. If your request is not clear or we need some more information from you we will contact you. We will not be able to progress your request until we receive this information.

We will respond to your request within a calendar month.

What will I receive?

You will receive a copy of the information SQA holds about you.

If you are, or were, a SQA candidate you will receive details of the qualifications you have achieved and any you are currently undertaking.

If we are unable to provide you with any information, we will tell you why.

Will I receive a copy of my exam script in response to my SAR?

No. You will not receive a copy of your exam script, or any other non-examination material submitted to SQA, such as coursework, in response to a subject access request (SAR).

You will receive a copy of other personal information that SQA holds about you, including marks or grade bands, where this information is available.

SQA provides a separate service for the return of assessment material requests.

Can someone else request my personal information?

Not without your authorisation but you can ask someone to request your information for you.  This could be a parent, guardian, carer, solicitor, or other family member.

We need to know that you have authorised that person to make a request on your behalf. We need written evidence of that authorisation. You can use subject access request form to do this.

Can I make a request on behalf of someone else?

You can request information for someone else if you have their written authorisation. If they are unable to provide their written authorisation due to a disability, you can make a request for them if you are their parent, legal guardian or someone who is legally allowed to act for them.

To make this type of request you must complete and submit the Candidate Representative Data Access Request Form.

How else can I find out about my exam results?

You can also access your exams results through MySQA.

  • MySQA gives candidates easy access to results for qualifications taken from 1995 onwards.
  • If you have lost your certificate and need to replace it, SQA operates a service for Replacement Certificates.

Further information and guidance

Data Protection Policy and Privacy Statement

SQA's Data Protection Policy sets out how we comply with data protection laws. Our Privacy Statement sets out what personal information we collect about you and how that information is used.